Essential Oils and Travel: Your Natural Companions for a Journey of Wellness
Traveling can be an exciting adventure, but it often comes with its own set of challenges. From immune support to insect bites, we’ve got you covered. Thankfully, nature offers a remedy in the form of essential oils. These concentrated plant extracts have been used for centuries to promote well-being and provide relief from various ailments. In this blog post, I’ll share how essential oils can enhance your travel experience by addressing common concerns such as immune boosting, nausea, sleep support, insect repellent, and sunburn relief.
- Immune Boosting: When traveling, it’s crucial to keep your immune system in top shape to ward off potential illnesses. Essential oils like tea tree, eucalyptus, clove, oregano and cinamon possess antimicrobial and/or antiviral properties. Consider using these oils in a diffuser or adding a few drops to a carrier oil for a soothing massage to help strengthen your body’s defense against germs.
- Nausea Relief: Motion sickness or changes in diet can sometimes lead to feelings of nausea. Peppermint and ginger essential oils are known for their ability to alleviate nausea and promote digestion. You can inhale the aroma directly from the bottle or apply a diluted solution to your temples or wrists for quick relief.
- Sleep Support: Sleeping in a new enviroment is never easy. Essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, and bergamot have calming properties that can promote relaxation and improve sleep quality. Diffuse these oils in your hotel room or create a bedtime ritual by applying a few drops to your pillow or bedding.
- Insect Repellent: Unwanted bug encounters can put a damper on outdoor activities. Essential oils like citronella, lemongrass, cat nip, and eucalyptus are natural insect repellents. Dilute these oils with a carrier oil and apply them to exposed areas of your skin or make a DIY bug spray by combining them with witch hazel or water in a spray bottle (shake well before each use).
- Sunburn Relief: Spending time under the sun without adequate protection can lead to sunburn. Essential oils such as lavender and chamomile possess soothing and cooling properties that can provide relief for sunburned skin. Mix a few drops with a carrier oil or add them to aloe vera gel for a calming after-sun treatment.
- Calm/Mood Support: I have used essential oils on the plane every single time we fly. I love the blend of Valor to help calm my nerves, if you don’t have this some great ones are Roman Chamomile, Lavender, and Frankincense.
I love using essential oils when we travel. By incorporating essential oils into your travel routine, you can enhance your well-being and address common travel-related concerns naturally. Remember to choose high-quality oils (our faves will be linked below), follow proper dilution guidelines, and dont use photosensitive oils on your skin before going out into the sun. Enjoy the benefits of these natural remedies and embark on your journey with a renewed sense of wellness.
our favorite essential oil companies
Disclaimer: Essential oils can be potent and may interact with certain medications or cause allergic reactions. It’s essential to consult with an Aromatherapist before using essential oils, especially if you have any pre-existing health conditions or are pregnant or breastfeeding.