Start with a volumizing shampoo then use a smoothing conditioner. These don’t have to be $20 bottles either, Tresemmé and Loreal are great drugstore brands. If you prefer salon brands I recommend using AG Thikk Wash & Aveda’s Smooth Infusion line
Let hair air dry about halfway then use a round brush to blow dry your hair completely. *TIP If you want even more volume, use a root volume spray before drying.
Section your hair in 4-5 parts. You don’t want to use the flat iron on too thick of sections because it won’t get as straight. Spray dry shampoo to each section before straightening. This has changed my straight hair game! It leaves my hair texturized and volumized. After I’m done straightening, I rub it into my scalp and it really volumizes. You can find my favorite here. Batiste is a drugstore brand that also works really well.
Spray a little hairspray on your comb and smooth down fly-aways. The Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco hairspray is amazing. I use it after straightening but also love it for when I curl my hair. It smells awesome and leaves my hair soft with a light hold.
- I use a Chi straightener and have loved it for about 7-8 years now, it has lasted forever.
- Use a ceramic and/or tourmaline dryer and don’t forget heat protectant, you can find my favorite blow dryer here.
- On the bottom half of my hair, I only straighten from the midshaft down. This helps with volume but only works if you already have semi-straight hair (if you have super curly hair you can’t get away with only straightening part of it).
- If you want even more volume, use Kenra’s Dry Thickening spray, it really does thicken your hair.
- Make sure you’re getting trims every 6 (ish) weeks so your hair looks fresh on the ends.
What’s your favorite smoothing and heat protecting products? I’d love to hear from you!