The Best Nontoxic Cleaning Recipes | 5 Day Plan to Clean Your Whole Home
Hey guys! Today I’m sharing a few tips on how I spring clean. I used to be a clean freak, like clean windows and floors once a week kind of clean freak, before kids. Now I just stick to the basics and keep things tidy as much as possible. Over the last couple of years, we have been very intentional about what we bring into our home and what we use to clean with. Two staples in our cleaning routine are nontoxic cleaners and steamers. As I use and approve of more nontoxic options I will share them here below under “shop”. I HIGHLY recommend you look up all of the products that you use for cleaning (some of them you probably use daily, like kitchen countertop cleaner) on the Think Dirty app to see what your working with.
The Best Nontoxic Cleaning Recipes | 5 Day Plan to Clean Your Whole Home
Tips for Success
- Make a list of everything you want to get done. Things like decluttering, cleaning rooms, dusting, grout, baseboards, windows, etc. I’ll share my list below.
- Plan out what you’ll need for each task (glass cleaner, sponges, paper towel, trash bags, steamer, etc.)
- Do one thing/room a day so you don’t get overwhelmed. This one is hard for me because I like to get everything done in a day like I used to before kids, but not it’s just not possible to do that so I go in sections.
- Do your cleaning in the morning if you can. If you work in the morning then plan to do it on your day off. The earlier the better and the more motivated you’ll be.
- Just start. Once you have everything planned out just start, it’s like working out or anything you procrastinate with, the hardest part is just getting there/starting. Turn up the music, start your diffuser, and get going.
Plan It Out
Here is my list of things I need to get done for “spring cleaning” and it’s more like every season cleaning because I like to deep clean at the start of each season. These are things I do not do regularly, like every week or every month. I can make a list and tips on those types of chores too if you’d like! Let me know in the comments if you like cleaning posts. I can also do a video if you prefer.
- kids toys // we go through all toys once a season and donate a few otherwise we’d be overwhelmed with stuff, we try our best to be minimalists. Simple is better.
- closets // same with our closets, I go through them once or twice a year and donate things I haven’t worn in awhile
- storage room // we have a large space that we store extra stuff in which is nice to have but it can get packed full quickly if we’re not careful. we go through this room once a season and donate all things that we don’t need
- you can also do a quick steam clean on all closets and door handles while decluttering
- products needed: trash bags, steam cleaner
windows + walls
- clean all windows + blinds + machine wash all curtains
- I have a Dyson stick vacuum that I love for getting loose dirt and dust, then I use my window cleaner, then I use my steamer for the window ledge and any extra dirty spots. Steam cleaning is AMAZING and totally nontoxic because it only uses water + heat.
- products needed: vacuum, window cleaner, steamer, paper towels, microfiber cloths
baseboards + walls + dusting
- start from top to bottom, so dust everything in your home starting with the ceiling, with your dusting spray and a microfiber cloth or vacuum attachment
- vacuum all baseboards, then spray and wipe down all walls + baseboards.
- steam any extra dirty spots first then wipe with a microfiber towel
- products needed: all-purpose cleaner, paper towel, microfiber towels, steamer, vacuum
grout + floors
- This is my favorite day. My new Black & Decker steam mop is life-changing, cleaning the grout used to be such a task, but now I just use this and it vacuums and steams all in one step. I literally use this on all hard surfaces, it even works on rugs & carpets.
- I steam mop all hard floors + bathrooms + entry rug
- toss all bathroom and kitchen rugs in the washer then hang them to dry
- vacuum under beds and areas that don’t get regularly cleaned
- freshen the carpet by sprinkling carpet powder (recipe below) all over, let sit for an hour, then vacuum up
- spot clean any carpet stains, which is especially important if you have pets and/or kids
- products needed: steam mop, vacuum, carpet powder, laundry soap, carpet spot cleaner
clean cabinets + appliances
- use your all-purpose cleaner to wash all cabinets inside and out
- use the same cleaner to wipe down all appliances like the fridge (inside and out), the dishwasher, the microwave, and the oven. For the oven, I also use a DIY soft scrub. Use a handheld steamer to clean extra greasy or dirty areas, then wipe with a microfiber cloth (link:
- products needed: all-purpose cleaner, scrub brush, paper towel, microfiber towels, DIY soft scrub, handheld steamer
Need some cleaning supplies? Here are some of our favorites:
thieves household cleaning concentrate | branch basics cleaning concentrate
fave essential oils
Rocky Mountain | Simply Earth | Revive | Plant Therapy | Mountain Rose Herbs | Eden’s Garden
here’s my favorite toilet brush
- get an air purifier to help keep the air in your home cleaner
- get a babysitter or grandparent to take your kids for the morning so you can get your cleaning done
- less is more, try to get a natural concentrate that you can use for literally anything in your home
- ditch all the bleach and Windex, your lungs will thank you
All-Purpose Cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves Cleaner +fill to the top with water
window Cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves cleaner, 1 tsp white vinegar, (optional add 5 drops of essential oil like citrus fresh) +fill to top with water
dusting spray + floor cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves cleaner, a splash of olive oil, and 5 drops of essential oil like orange, pine, or citrus fresh.
Heavy Degreaser (for the stove, grout, shower, etc) (in a 16 oz glass spray bottle)
2 caps of Thieves cleaner, 10 drops of lemon essential oil
1 cup baking soda, 10 drops of your favorite essential oil
DIY Soft Scrub
2 cup baking soda, 3-4 tbsp water, 10 drops EO like lemon or citrus fresh, 3 tbsp Thieves cleaner, mix together in a glass jar
I buy a bottle of Thieves laundry soap (about $30) and dilute it into 3 32 oz pump bottles. it lasts us about 6 months and works really well for our fam of 4 + our pup.
I hope you found some helpful tips! When do you start spring cleaning? I like to start when I can open the windows and air the house out. It’s one of my favorite times of the year!
I love this its so innovative and no chemicals !
Thanks so much! Safe/natural is best!
This is sooo perfect! I’ve been trying to change over to all-natural cleaning but didn’t know where to begin! So many good ideas ahhh!!! 🙂
Yes girl! Thieves is amazing. Let me know if you want to try some!
Thank you for the tips. Will definitely have to try the Thieves products
I like how you did a certain thing like cleaning all the baseboards, blinds etc.
I have a small apartment and don’t know that I would ever use all of these products up. I know I need to switch to a more healthy cleaning product because I have no ideal what is in my cleaning products. And who sits down and tries to go on line and figure out what each item is. This all sounds so great.
Get the think dirty app, you can scan all your products to see what’s in them! Super easy ☺️☺️
Thanks & good luck!
These are great ideas to get your house all neat and spring cleaned!
This sounds amazing. Thanks for the tips.
Thank you Tina!
Yes, it is that time of year for me to do my Spring cleaning. Hope your list will make it go easier and quicker for me. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck! I have a little bit more to finish tmrw!
Oh my gosh I seriously needed this ! I’ve been putting off my spring cleaning mainly due to the harmful- chemical filled junk we have in my home (I don’t pick out the main cleaning supplies) I’ve been trying to find DIY or budget friendly green and clean cleaning products or recipes, also, the tips on spacing out what I need to get done is super helpful, considering I’m the same way, once I start I want to flip everything upside down and clean everything in one day! Thanks so much !
Yay I’m glad you found the tips helpful! I have a little more to finish tmrw, it’s been a long process this year lol. Awesome to you for wanting to find clean products to use! Let me know if you want to try thieves cleaner ☺️
I’m bothered by scents, they give me migraines, so these are some great tips!
I love these tips!I have been looking into making my cleaning routine chemical free!
Thank you for the information. This is the first time that I have seen this product.
Thank you for all the advice. This would be great products to try.
Thieves sounds like an awesome product, I must try this for our household cleaning needs! Thank you so much for the tips and recipes!
Having a number of pets, I am always concerned about using chemicals to clean. Thanks for letting me know about how to keep my place spotless without endangering my companions!
Aw yes! Safety is important for the furry friends too!
Definitely interested in trying this.. is there a ‘visual’ list (image) of what all comes in the kit? Also, I noticed some of the recipes didn’t specifically say to add water; was that intentional or? I DID see that it says to use 16oz spray bottles, etc..
Thanks for sharing!
If you click here https://www.youngliving.com/vo/?utm_expid=.tl3XQPf-TLmpzG5lWEPInA.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwordpress.com%2F#/enroll/starter-kits it should have a picture listed with all of the products. Plus getting the Thieves kit makes you a member (no additional fees to be a member) and you then get 24% off all products for life! You can also go to bit.ly/toreynoora and select other premium kits on the drop down menu in step 1. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. You can always email me at email@example.com
Oh, and yes you always fill to the top of the 16 oz bottles with water. I am going back to fix that now, thanks!
Thank you for sharing your process, I’m going to try it out! How do you like your Dyson stick vacuum? I recently had my carpets cleaned, and the technician pointed out that I should get a new vacuum because my current one was leaving a lot of dust behind. I’ve heard great things about Dyson and am considering getting one.
Thanks for reading! Let me know how it goes! I LOVE the Dyson, it gets all the dust and that’s why I love it. I also love that when a part goes bad you can just replace it easily. I just had to get a new brush roll because I wore ours down to nothing lol. It was cheap to replace too.
The cleaning ideas are great that every home owner can follow through it. And I agree that carpets should be included.