Hey guys! Today I’m sharing a few tips on how I spring clean. I used to be a clean freak, like clean windows and floors once a week kind of clean freak, before kids. Now I just stick to the basics and keep things tidy as much as possible. Over the last couple of years we have been very intentional about what we bring into our home and what we use to clean with. Two staples in our cleaning routine are Thieves cleaner and Branch Basics cleaning concentrate. As I use and approve of more nontoxic options I will share them here below under “shop”. I HIGHLY recommend you look up all of the products that you use for cleaning (some of them you probably use daily, like kitchen countertop cleaner) on the Think Dirty app to see what your workin with.
How To Spring Clean in 5 Days | Without Chemicals
Tips for Success
- Make a list of everything you want to get done over the course of 1-2 weeks. Things like decluttering, cleaning rooms, dusting, grout, baseboards, windows, etc. I’ll share my list below.
- Plan out what you’ll need for each task (glass cleaner, sponges, paper towel, trash bags, etc.)
- Do one thing/room a day so you don’t get overwhelmed. This one is hard for me because I like to get everything done in a day like I used to before kids, but not it’s just not possible to do that so I go in sections.
- Do your cleaning in the morning if you can. If you work in the morning then plan to do it on your day off. The earlier the better and the more motivated you’ll be.
- Just start. Once you have everything planned out just start, it’s like working out or anything you procrastinate with, the hardest part is just getting there/starting. Turn up the music and get going.
Plan It Out
Here is my list of things I need to get done for “spring cleaning”. These are things I do not do regularly, like every week or every month. I can make a list and tips on those types of chores too if you’d like! Let me know in the comments if you like cleaning posts. I can also do a video if you prefer.
grout + floors
- clean grout in the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms
- clean out cracks in the main floor (we have hardwood that has spaces in between some boards)
- vacuum under beds and areas that don’t get regularly cleaned
- defunk carpet by sprinkling carpet powder (recipe below) all over, let sit for an hour, then vacuum up
- products needed: grout cleaner and sponge, rags, vacuum
windows + blinds
- clean all windows + dust all blinds
- I dust everything with a duster or with my vacuum attachment then spray down and wipe
- products needed: glass cleaner, paper towel, duster
baseboards + dust
- vacuum all baseboards, then spray down and wipe
- dust walls and ceilings with duster or vacuum attachment
- products needed: all-purpose cleaner, paper towel, Swiffer with microfiber towels
- kids toys // we go through all toys once a month and donate a few otherwise we’d be overwhelmed with stuff
- my closet // same with my closet, I go through once a year and donate things I haven’t used in a year
- girls closets // I store all outgrown items of Emery for Zara and donate all of Zara’s old stuff
- storage room // this gets done probably once a year, we go through and donate all things that we haven’t used in a year.
- products needed: glass cleaner, paper towel
clean cabinets + appliances
- use your Thieves all-purpose cleaner to wash all cabinets inside and out
- use the same cleaner to wipe down all appliances like the fridge (inside and out), inside the dishwasher, inside the microwave, and oven. For the oven, I also use a DIY soft scrub.
- products needed: all-purpose cleaner, scrub brush, paper towel
Need some cleaning supplies? Here are some of our favorites:
All-Purpose Cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves Cleaner +fill to the top with water
Glass Cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves cleaner, 1 tsp white vinegar, (optional add 5 drops of essential oil like citrus fresh) +fill to top with water
Hardwood Floor Cleaner (16 oz glass spray bottle)
1 cap of Thieves cleaner, a splash of olive oil, 5 drops of essential oil like orange, pine, citrus fresh.
Easy Peasy Refillable Sponge Cleaner
1 cap of Thieves cleaner, 1 tsp of Thieves dish soap, fill with water.
Heavy Degreaser (for the stove, grout, shower, etc) (in a 16 oz glass spray bottle)
2 caps of Thieves cleaner, 10 drops of lemon essential oil
1 cup baking soda, 10 drops of your favorite essential oil
DIY Soft Scrub
2 cup baking soda, 3-4 tbsp water, 10 drops EO like lemon or citrus fresh, 3 tbsp Thieves cleaner, mix together in a glass jar
I hope you found some helpful tips! When do you start spring cleaning? I like to start when I can open the windows and air the house out. It’s one of my favorite times of the year!